A long drive to the North coast of France was pretty uneventful and calm. I got the chance to use the IPAD to take photos – till the battery died. Then I used the point-and-shoot till the memory card was full. Then I dozed.
We arrived in Boulogne, drove out for dinner, stopping to get petrol on the way (5km to empty…) and Matt reversed into a post.
The ensuing mayhem featured
– a screaming daughter
– some unbelievably kind French people who helped us and then went and fetched a second car and drove me and the children back to our hotel
– driving back to the hotel down windy dark country lanes with complete strangers thinking “this isnt the way we came” and “they have two of my children in the other car”
– trying to find out where the hotel was on the internet in order to order a pizza delivery
– Matt’s grand idea of bringing “all we need” from the car before it was locked away. This consisted of beach gear and monopoly
– a broken TV, a single PC (being used for aforementioned pizza research) and 4 bored, tired, hungry children. In one very small room. Do not try this at home.
Still – we will look back and laugh. One day.